Monday, September 17, 2012

Indie vs Traditional: Why does it matter?

I know this is a HUGE topic to tackle.  A lot of people are very supportive of either Indie OR Traditionally published authors.  And I have seen a lot of posts on the subject.  You know what I've noticed?  When people talk about this, they are usually supporting Indie authors.  That is fantastic.  But I think this subject is causing a lot of tension.

Indie Authors are fantastic! I know there are a lot of self published books that shouldn't have been published.  NOT because they aren't worthy.  But because they need a LOT of editing.  And for this reason, Indie authors fear that if a reader knows they are Indie, they won't buy the book.

I also know that there are a lot of great books that are self published and you can't tell that an editor from a major publishing house didn't edit the book.   And a lot of self published authors are just as good (and sometimes even better) that traditionally published authors.

However, I also know that Traditionally published authors shouldn't be hated because they AREN'T Indie.  Guess what?  If you like a book and author, why does it matter how they were published?  It shouldn't.

I want to get published and I am weeks away from sending my novel to publishers.  I WANT to be traditionally published.  Does this mean that I don't like Indie authors? No! Does this mean that I think going Indie is the wrong way to go? No!  Does it mean that I couldn't go Indie if I so decide? No!  It simply means that I WANT to be traditionally published.  Not because I think I am better and therefore deserve it.  Not because I think it takes more work and so I know people will respect me more if I am published by a major publishing house.  No, it simply means that I have been dreaming of this for years and I WANT to be traditionally published.

There are two 'sayings' I see around often:

"Don't judge a book by its cover." 
&
"Don't judge a book by its movie." 

Today I am adding another one. 

"Don't judge a book by the way it was published." 


It shouldn't be "Traditional Authors take care of Traditional Authors" and "Indie Authors 

take care of Indie Authors." It should be "Authors take care of Authors." We work together,

 are always there for each other and always have everyone's back!


So, where do I stand when it comes to Indie vs Traditional?  In the middle.

I support Indie Authors
I support Traditional Authors

I support Authors. 


p.s: To all other Bloggers and Authors who stand with this, feel free to steal the badge on my sidebar.  If you need the html code, comment below or e-mail me and I will send it to you.   

15 comments:

  1. Nicely said. I'm glad you were able to come and visit my blog on this same topic. Great minds think alike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support authors! I'll be adding the badge to my blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post, Konstanz! I agree -- people make far too many assumptions about both types of publishing. There is so much variation in the types of writing, editing, finished product, etc. in either category to make those assumptions. I don't know why people feel the need to create false dichotomies like this. I think we can all learn so much from each other.
    I know, I know, I sound like a hippie... and I WAS born in the 70's, but I consider myself to be fairly contemporary ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! And thank you for stopping by! WAAAY too many assumptions. I think people should learn more about what they are talking about before they just assume that one is better than the other.

      Both forms of publication do a lot of the same things: 1. They get authors published
      2. That gives more great books for the world to read
      3. It means another persons dream just came true.

      So there shouldn't be a battle of one over the other. It is like food, everyone has their personal preference, that doesn't make the other one wrong. :) I just think you're pretty awesome.

      Delete
  4. Yes,you're right. I think there is a lot of contention on the issue which really shouldn't be there. We should support each other no matter our chosen path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No it should't. Seriously, are we all not shooting for the same dream?

      Delete
  5. I'm one of those hybrids. I self-publish some stuff. I've always got short stories out to traditional markets, and I've got one book out there in the slush at a traditional market now. I think there are valid reasons for doing both, and I won't knock anyone for whatever choices they want to make for their career.

    Thanks for the call to common sense!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderfully put! And honestly, I just wish more people would be open to both ways of publication!

      Well, here is for hoping!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. I love when authors use my name and tidbits from my blog. At least you know they've been there! I am always surprised at the half-ass (excuse) emails I receive sometimes requesting book reviews. To me, I think the email probably reflects their book - delete.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are so welcome! Yes, e-mailing by name is always nice. And I agree, I typically delete the ones that sound like a sales person.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Nicely said. Instead of arguing with each other about which way is right, lets get back to writing and telling excellent stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Honestly, I can't believe it even came down to this argument. Especially of ALL the things we (all authors in general) COULD be arguing about.

      Delete
  8. Nice post! I like the badge, it says it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! It really makes me happy to see that others understand. :)

      Delete