Thursday, April 18, 2013

Portcullis


The Portcullis, is a very sneaky weapon.  Armies charging at your door, you wait, and wait, and wait, and just when they think they're getting in, you drop it on them. They are stabbed, crushed, dead, and the men behind them can't get to you.  

Archers would also shoot through the holes in the Portcullis giving them something to stand behind while still having enough room to shoot the arrow through.   



*Disclaimer: I have done extensive research on each of these weapons. I am aware that there are many different versions of each of these weapons. I am not trying to spread false information. If you know and can prove any information wrong, please let me know and I will fix my errors.  I have at least three references for all research on the weapons I will discuss through the challenge. 

16 comments:

  1. Weapons... !! Really... Things people take inspiration from :) Happy to connect. Do visit www.disha-doshi.blogspot.com I am following you via #AtoZChallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE weapons. :) Me too, totally stopping by when I get a second!

      Delete
  2. And I thought it was some kind of flowers ... I was mistaken ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so bookmarked your articles for all these weapons names! what a great theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! That makes me extremely happy. So glad that I can spread the knowledge I have gained.

      Delete
  4. Crushed to death? Better than some of the ways you've listed here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of it. Learned something new today. Yay me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yay indeed! Always fun learning something new.

      Delete
  6. How did you come to have such a fascination with weapons?

    A-Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have always had a fascination with swords. And then I got to go do archery and fell in love with it. And I am not a fan of guns and all of my novels are based in medieval time periods . . (okay most of my books) and so I began doing research on weapons and got hooked. I love weapons.

      Delete
  7. So it's really a defense mechanism used as a weapon in some instances - right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It was created as both, mostly used for defense, and when necessary, used as a weapon.

      Delete