Monday, July 29, 2013

Dreams do come true! I know, because mine just did!

April 11th . . . just days after announcing I would be self-publishing my first book I got an e-mail from an old friend. A friend who happened to be one of the very women who got me started in writing. I thought perhaps she was going to congratulate me. Perhaps give me advice. Maybe even ask me how I got to the point I was at.

That's not what she was e-mailing me about at all. No, she had a much more life-altering question for me. She decided to start a publishing company. And she wanted me to be one of her first authors. It took me all of 10 minutes to form a reply and hit send. The answer? Was yes.

We discussed details, made arrangements, and left it at that. I set a date for my book to come out and our goal was to get the company up and running the month before Only Half Alive was scheduled to publish. I was to keep the information to myself until the company was ready to launch.

Jump forward to July 16th. 

The book is almost finished and will be going to my editor on August 1st. I had just gotten the cover. Everything was going according to plan. Not a worry in the world. (Okay, that's a lie. I was stressed about editing). And then I check my e-mail. 

The company won't be up in time. In fact, it will be at least another six months before it is up and running. And . . . Shanna want's to know if I will wait to publish. It was truly a battle I fought for hours. I didn't even reply until the next day. 

I prayed, I thoughts of all the pros and cons of waiting. And even though I wasn't supposed to be telling anyone about the publishing company until it was ready, I knew I had to talk to someone. Stressed, worried, and now in tears, I got on Facebook and sent C Michelle Jeffieres a message. I needed help deciding what to do. 

I lightly explained the situation, not giving out to much information, just wanting advice. She helped me make a list of pros and cons and we discussed each item on the list. And then she told me that I needed to choose. I set my laptop aside for a minute, tears pouring down my cheeks. 

I said out loud, to myself, "I have to wait, don't I?" And in that moment, I knew. Goosebumps covered my arms, tears covered my cheeks, and the feeling that waiting was the answer filled my heart. There was no denying my prayers were being answered. So waiting I am. 

InkDust Publications is the name. Publishing book for teens by teens is the game! 

So, now you know why publication on Only Half Alive as well as Missing Royal has been pushed back six months. And in the meantime? I will continue writing and editing. In six months I should have a total of 6 novels completely ready for publication! 

Thank you for your continued support of my writing career! It means so much to me. This has been my dream since I was 13. Since Shanna, C Michelle Jefferies, and Karen Hoover got me into writing. 

Dreams do come true! 

12 comments:

  1. In years to come, that 6 month delay will make no difference at all! I can see how it must have been a huge decision to make though. Pros and cons lists are great, until that point where you have to make a decision - going with your gut always works best, I find :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! Even though right now that 6 month delay feels like years to come! :D It was a very huge decision I had to make. And that day I got the e-mail about waiting, all I did was cry. Nothing else got done. It was tough. But I know it is what needed to happen and I am so excited for this!! Thank you so much! <3

      Delete
  2. *hugs* I know you want to do this right, so after all that internal reflection and prayer, if this feels right, then you must be thrilled! Even if a little bummed. But, it's not like you won't be working on your next project while you wait, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very thrilled! Very! Even if it is still hard. But I know it is the right choice and I can't deny that. Oh yes, I was indeed bummed. The day I made the decision I curled up in a ball and bawled. And I know when September 27th comes around (the original publication date for Only Half Alive) I will probably eat a bucket of Ice Cream. But I am happy with the decision!

      And yes! By the end of six months, I should have at least 6 other novels completed. Edited, with covers and all! And that means that there will be no pressure for deadlines for the following three years. That is a huge relief. I don't handle dead lines very well. LOL

      Delete
  3. So inspirational. Loved reading your comments. Keep on trying; you ARE getting to the top faster than you realize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you! That means the world to me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

      Delete
  4. I have to agree with Annalisa... I know how much you struggled with your decision and I know it was the right one for you. NEVER doubt yourself! I told you when you made the announcement that we weren't going anywhere. We are here to ride this ride with you now matter what! Kepp your chin up and keep on going! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was a really hard decision to make. And sometimes I still question why it was the right choice but I know for a fact that it is so I don't question that.

      Thank you, thank you, thank you! Seriously, I don't know what I would do without you! You are so amazing to support me and just being a great friend! <3

      Delete
  5. Congratulations!! Always makes me happy to hear of someone achieving their dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading your journey! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! My pleasure! Thank you for reading! <3

      Delete