Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Just because you wrote about a vampire, doesn't mean you are trying to re-write Twilight.

I don't like Twilight. Not because I am jealous. Definitely not because it's a thing to NOT like Twilight. Trust me, I can give you at least 20 legitimate reasons as to why I genuinely dislike Twilight.  All that aside, I don't judge you, hate you, or even dislike YOU for liking it.

But that isn't the point. The point is . . . I wrote about a vampire. And guess what? It doesn't have anything to do with Twilight. Nothing, whatsoever. I wrote about a vampire because the character told me that's what he was. There, nothing I can do about it.

And I can promise you that I am not the only one who writers about Vampires . . . and ISN'T trying to copy Twilight.

Most assume this to be the case. Which is seriously sad. Because Vampires are actually very interesting! I mean, seriously! They are!

From Wikipedia

"Vampire literature covers the spectrum of literary work concerned principally with the subject of vampires. The literary vampire first appeared in 18th century poetry, before becoming one of the stock figures of gothic fiction with the publication of Polidori'sThe Vampyre (1819), which was inspired by the life and legend of Lord Byron. Later influential works include the penny dreadfulVarney the Vampire (1847); Sheridan Le Fanu's tale of a lesbian vampire, Carmilla (1872) and the masterpiece of the genre: Bram Stoker's Dracula (1897).

In later years, vampire stories have diversified into areas of crimefantasyscience fiction or even chick-lit. While fanged revenants are the norm, newer representations include aliens and even plants with vampiric abilities. Others feed on energy, rather than blood." 

*Clears throat* Twilight was published in 2005. Vampires have been around since the 18th Century. So I repeat, just because someone today writers about vampires, DOES NOT MEAN, they are copying, re-writing, or trying to re-create Twilight. 

Please, please, please, please, do NOT believe that if there is a vampire nearby, it has anything to do with Twilight! 

4 comments:

  1. HaHa...I hate, let me emphasize that...I HATE that every book that hints at vampire and a love triangle is compared to Twilight. Although, to be honest when I read Twilight I thought it hinted at similarities to The Vampire Dairies by L.J. Smith (the books...not the TV show). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It is so true and so annoying! I've never read The Vampire Diaries but I have heard that they are really similar.

      Delete
  2. Sadly, with the success of Twilight, both books and film, it sparkled...oops, I mean sparked a plethora of quasi-copycats (to the point that there's a separate section in my local library devoted to YA vampire books). I've only read the first book (and wholeheartedly disliked it) and have avoided watching the films based solely on my dislike of the series and the skeletal narrative (though I will admit that the film's instrumental score is lovely). [Also, technically speaking the "love triangle" in Twilight is really a love "angle" as Bella is torn between Edward and Jacob, it would be a true triangle if Bella loved Edward, but Edward loved Jacob.]

    I am also in the midst of writing several novels wherein there are vampires who inhabit the world I have created and interact with various characters - there's a specific reasons why they are vampires [I'd go more into it, but... Spoilers].

    Also, sadly, Twilight (and stories remotely like them) is what sells these days to the demographic who (seemingly) have the most vocal and visual buying power: Tween and teenage girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...I love the angle vs triangle explanation...and btw you're right. :)

      Delete