Monday, November 14, 2011

Finishing Part one

I have been working on the same novel since 2007.  It hasn't always been fun or easy but it's always been worth it.  I started with writing it on a notepad and almost 300 written pages later (and four notebooks and a few pens) I decided to get a laptop.  (Best decision ever! :D )
I wrote, re-wrote, re-re-wrote and re-re-re-wrote the book.  This is my fifth draft and I know that it still needs a lot of editing but I also know that I won't be re-writing the book again.  After some editing throughout the book is done,  I will be ready to send it in for publication.  And the idea of finally getting published is exhilarating!


But I know there are many more steps before I get there.  After editing,  I get to edit some more.  After that I get to let a few friends read and edit it.  And then I get to edit it again! After that I get to write a query letter and after writing that,  I get to edit that.  (I am beginning to see a pattern)

Since I first began writing I have known exactly who my first book was being dedicated to. . . and over the years a few more people got added to the list.  (Yes my first book is being dedicated to more than one person)


I know exactly what I want the cover to look like!  I know how I want the inside designed (And yes I am aware that I don't get the final say on a lot of this)  But one thing I have NEVER known, is the title and tag line.  How does one come up with a title for their book?  It's like naming a new born baby.  There are so many choices and options and so little time to figure it out!  And the tag line is like that babies middle name!  Where are you going to come up with a name (book title)  and then a complimentary second name (tag line)  that fits well with the first?

Well tonight I will finish draft five and begin working on book two (for NaNoWriMo)  And then I will be going back to. . .-you guessed it- Editing!

Congrats to all of those who have made it to publication and to all those you have not, I wish you the best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment