Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Hobbit~ A Review

If you've never heard of The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings series, you've been living in a Hobbit hole! 


Sobrecubierta diseñada por el propio Tolkien para la primera edición. Su deseo de imprimir en rojo el Sol y al Dragón no pudo ser realizado debido a los costos de impresión.
En la sobrecubierta se puede ver al Dragón y la noche en la parte de la izquierda, y a la derecha, en la portada, el día y a las águilas.

The Hobbit- Goodreads blurb:

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.Written for J.R.R. Tolkien’s own children, The Hobbit met with instant critical acclaim when it was first published in 1937. Now recognized as a timeless classic, this introduction to the hobbit Bilbo Baggins, the wizard Gandalf, Gollum, and the spectacular world of Middle-earth recounts of the adventures of a reluctant hero, a powerful and dangerous ring, and the cruel dragon Smaug the Magnificent. The text in this 372-page paperback edition is based on that first published in Great Britain by Collins Modern Classics (1998), and includes a note on the text by Douglas A. Anderson (2001). Unforgettable!


My Thoughts: 

When I tried to pick a book to do a review for this week I had a hard time deciding.  I've read so many good books recently and I wasn't sure which one I would write about this week.  And then I picked up The Hobbit.  


I've already read it as well as the Lord of the Rings series but I just felt like re-reading it again.  And it has been so long since I last read them that I had forgotten so much about them!  Like how J.R.R Tolkien wrote the books!  I forgot what it felt like to read The Hobbit.  I forgot that it feels like the author is telling the story and it's not just another book.   I also discovered a lot of things that he put in the book that nowadays authors are told to NEVER put in a book.  

Things like, 
*Giving your characters the easy way out, 
*Repeating the same thing over and over and over
*Telling instead of Showing

I could point out a lot more mistakes but I will keep the list small.  
But setting aside all the mistakes I have found, I still give the book Five Musical Notes.  
The story is so intriguing, it's an easy read.  
I've heard from so many people that it is a complicated book to read and follow but I am reading it and I discovered that it really isn't that hard of a book to read! 

One thing I love about the book are all the songs.  When I saw the trailer for The Hobbit part 1: An Unexpected Journey I about cried with joy to see that they put the songs in the movie.  They wrote music for them and the songs will be sung!  

Also, have I mentioned how much I LOVE the actors they got to play in The Hobbit? 
(I think they found the PERFECT Bilbo Baggins)

Not sure?  Haven't seen the trailer?  Go Watch the Trailer!. . .Now! 



No comments:

Post a Comment